Med Omega Fish Oil is a bestselling supplement from Carlson Labs. The company, founded in 1960s Chicago, offers well over 250 products. Because of their long line of fish oils and various other supplements, they are often considered one of the industry leaders for no-nonsense nutrition. Their fish oils are particularly well-regarded, including Med Omega.
1) Med Omega Fish Oil at a Glance
It has 2700 mg of fish oil per dose, far above the typical 1000 mg Carlson has. All 2700 mg are Omega-3 fatty acids with equal levels of DHA and EPA. Fish oil has always been of great benefit to your cardiovascular health, as it helps to fight off heart disease and high triglyceride levels. Fish oil can be taken to improve general mental function and behavior, reduce side effects from prescription medicine, reduce risk of heart failure, and more. It has a lot of benefits, even the potential to even assist with depressive tendencies. Maintaining brain function is always made easier when you’re taking fish oil supplements or eating fish from time to time. Fish is, after all, commonly referred to as a brain food.
2) Details on Med Omega Fish Oil Ingredients and Uses
Med Omega Fish Oil contains the following ingredients: Vitamin E, Total Omega-3, Fatty Acids, EPA, DHA, Natural lemon-lime flavor, non-GMO mixed tocopherols, contains fish: anchovy, sardine, mackerel.
3) Does Med Omega Fish Oil Work and it is Safe?
Each serving, a mere teaspoon, contains 2700 mg of fish oil of 100% Omega-3 fatty acids. The EPA and DHA levels are completely balanced at 1200 mg each. For most people this is a lot more than you’d ever need from a day to day supplement. It’s at the highest part of the top end, as far as fish oil goes. If you take more 3000 mg in a single day you have a higher risk of encountering side effects. The most common effects are burping, nausea, and bad breath, although they’re rare overall. Side effects almost never show up, especially in higher-grade products. While fish oil is great for people of all ages, and has an incredible amount of benefits, it does need to be taken in moderation. The average consumer can take a half-dose daily (2.5 mL) to get what he or she needs.
4) Med Omega Fish Oil: Pros and Cons
- High dose. Med Omega is a professional strength concentrated fish oil, for when you want to make sure you have all the Omega-3s you need in your daily life.
- Has just enough flavoring to eliminate a fishy taste, although since this is a high quality fish oil product, there isn’t much unpleasant taste to begin with.
- Liquid instead of capsule-based. This enhances Med Omega’s appeal among people who dislike pills, and vegetarians who didn’t want something with a beef gelatin capsule.
5) What You Need to Know Before Taking Med Omega Fish Oil
- High dose. For most people, you won’t need a full serving of Med Omega every day. A half dose should be sufficient. Few people need or want 2700 mg of Omega-3s at a time, and 1350 may be better.
- If you want more DHA than EPA, or more EPA than DHA, this might not be your go-to fish oil. Still, a balance of both is fine, and doesn’t carry adverse effects.
6) Med Omega Fish Oil Price
If you go by the label and take one teaspoon daily, each bottle will last 20 days. This can get expensive quickly, but it’s a case of “you get what you pay for.” Few fish oil supplements can match Carlson Labs’ Med Omega in quality, or even provide the same levels of Omega-3s. If you decide to take a half dose, that stretches each bottle out to last over a month.
Considering the price – and how it’s often discounted at sites like Amazon – it’s actually rather affordable. Med Omega is reasonably priced and serves a variety of needs. Taking a half dose, or a full dose every other day, makes each purchase extra-worthwhile. This is a supplement packed to the gills with Omega-3s and beats many other products that claim to be professional grade.
7) Suggested Use
Each bottle lasts for more than two weeks if you follow the label’s instructions to take one teaspoon daily. You can stretch it out if need be, taking a smaller dose, and easily have each bottle of Med Omega last for 1-2 months. Depending on how often you use it, and in what amounts, it’s either expensive or rather cheap. Especially considering the high quality.
8) Our Bottom Line
Med Omega Fish Oil is a premium product that can be recommended for anyone. Unlike supplements with specific formulas, your individual needs can be satisfied here, regardless of age or level of health. Given the sheer amount of Omega-3s in a quality fish oil, everyone will benefit. Reviews online and in the professional world echo this. The public response to Med Omega has been very positive overall and there are no real complaints. The company slogan is “choose quality, choose Carlson” – and we have to say, trust them on this one.