Effective date: May 26, 2020
BrainReference (“us”, “we”, or “our”) operates the https://brainreference.com website (the “Service”).
This page is intended to inform you of our policies regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal data when you use our Service and the choices you have associated with that data.
* INFORMATION COLLECTION AND USE
* TYPES OF DATA COLLECTED
* USE OF DATA
* TRANSFER OF DATA
* LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL DATA UNDER GDPR
* YOUR DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS UNDER GDPR
* DISCLOSURE OF DATA
* LINKS TO OTHER SITES
* CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
* CONTACT US
INFORMATION COLLECTION AND USE
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our Service to you.
What is personal information?
Personal Information is information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier, or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person. We do not consider personal information to include information that can no longer be used to identify a specific natural person, whether in combination with other information or otherwise.
We collect information from you both when you provide it voluntarily and also automatically when you use our Services. We may also collect personal information from other sources, as described below.
We collect personal information from you and any devices (including mobile devices) you use when you: use our Services, register for an account with us, make a purchase, provide us information on a web form, engage or connect with us through one of our social media pages, update or add information to your account, chat with a customer support specialist, or when you otherwise correspond with us.
In addition, we also collect personal information about you from third parties in connection with our Services, including from the following sources:
- E-commerce service providers
- Email, chat and other communications service providers
- Customer service providers
- Data analytics service providers
- Advertising providers
- Social media platforms
For more information about the types of your personal information we may use, see the detailed descriptions below.
TYPES OF DATA COLLECTED
While using our Service, we may ask you to provide us with personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Data”). Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Personal contact details, such as name, title, addresses, telephone numbers, and personal email addresses
- Date of birth
- Social media account information
- Account preferences
- Financial information, such as credit card numbers
- Location information
- Device ID or unique identifier, device type, ID for advertising, order ID, and unique device token
- Computer and connection information such as statistics on your page views, traffic to and from the sites, referral URL, ad data, your IP address, your browsing history, and your weblog information
Special Categories of Data
We never request or require you to provide any of the following special categories of data, but through our chat services and customer services interactions, we know that sometimes customers and users of the Services choose on their own to share the following kinds of personal information with us:
- Information about your race or ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation and political opinions
- Information about your health, including any medical conditions, diagnoses and/or injuries
Again, we will never request or require this type of information! But if you decide to share it with us, our business partners who provide tools to support our chat and customer service interactions generally maintain a copy of transcripts and recordings for all customer service transactions, but we do not use or disclose it for any purposes other than resolving or analyzing complaints, suggestions or issues brought to our attention by you.
We may also collect information on how the Service is accessed and used (“Usage Data”). This Usage Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Tracking & Cookies Data
Cookies are files with a small amount of data which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. Tracking technologies also used are beacons, tags, and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyze our Service.
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Service.
Examples of Cookies we use:
- Session Cookies. We use Session Cookies to operate our Service.
- Preference Cookies. We use Preference Cookies to remember your preferences and various settings.
- Security Cookies. We use Security Cookies for security purposes.
USE OF DATA
BrainReference uses the collected data for various purposes:
- In connection with our provision of Services to you, which may include the following:
- Providing customer support and responding to your questions or comments
- Managing and fulfilling your orders
- Operating and improving our Services
- Payment processing and account management
- Providing webinars
- Managing your rewards account
- Providing programs and courses
- For our other legitimate interests to make available and highlight content and opportunities that are relevant to you, improve our Services, maintain our relationship with you, and protect users of our Services and customers, where your rights and freedoms do not outweigh these interests. We both benefit when we use your information to:
- Offer new features, programs, and opportunities
- Decide which ads to show you by only showing you those that “match” your past viewing, browsing, and shopping activity. Many advertising services collect and use data from your web and mobile app activity both on and off the Services to help show you ads that are more targeted to your interests
- Contact you via email or postal mail in order to offer you coupons, discounts and special promotions, poll your opinions through surveys or questionnaires and inform you about our Services, as authorized by applicable law
- Measure the performance of our email marketing campaigns (e.g. by analyzing open and click rates)
- Deliver targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences
- Contact you regarding your account or an order, to troubleshoot problems with your account or an order, to resolve a dispute, to collect fees or monies owed or as otherwise necessary to provide you customer service
- Customizing content that includes items and services that you may like in response to actions that you take
- Monitor and improve the information security of our websites
- Keeping our Services safe, secure and operational
- Improve our Services, for example by reviewing information associated with stalled or crashed pages experienced by users allowing us to identify and fix problems and give you a better experience
- Use your geolocation to provide location-based services
- Provide other services requested by you as described when we collect the information
- Conduct analytics on who is using the Services and what they are doing. For example, by reviewing how often people read certain content, we can learn and understand which content is most valuable and helpful to you and others
- Prevent, detect, mitigate, and investigate fraud, security breaches or other potentially prohibited or illegal activities
- For us to comply with our legal obligations, including assessing compliance with our regulatory requirements (e.g., using customer order information in the aggregate, including revenues generated in connection with our regulatory tax requirements).
- With your consent, we may use your personal information to:
- Provide you with marketing from third parties
- Provide you with marketing via telephone calls, email, SMS or text
We may also use your personal information in the following situations, which are likely to be rare:
- Where it is needed in the public interest.
- Where we need to protect your interests (or someone else’s interests).
TRANSFER OF DATA
Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside the United States and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including Personal Data, to the United States and process it there.
LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL DATA UNDER GDPR
BrainReference may process your Personal Data because:
- We need to perform a contract with you
- You have given us permission to do so
- The processing is in our legitimate interests and it’s not overridden by your rights
- To comply with the law
YOUR DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS UNDER GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you have certain data protection rights. BrainReference aims to take reasonable steps to allow you to correct, amend, delete, or limit the use of your Personal Data.
If you wish to be informed of what Personal Data we hold about you and if you want it to be removed from our systems, please contact us.
If you are an EU citizen or any person who wishes to completely remain anonymous, it is best to block or turn off the cookie and pixel tracking inside your browser or to avoid this website.
In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- The right to access, update, or to delete the information we have on you. Whenever made possible, you can access, update, or request the deletion of your Personal Data directly within your account settings section. If you are unable to perform these actions yourself, please contact us to assist you.
- The right to object. You have the right to object to our processing of your Personal Data.
- The right to withdraw consent. You also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time where BrainReference relied on your consent to process your personal information
- The right of rectification. You have the right to have your information rectified if that information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right of restriction. You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to be provided with a copy of the information we have on you in a structured, machine-readable, and commonly used format.
Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests.
You have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about our collection and use of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the European Economic Area (EEA).
DISCLOSURE OF DATA
BrainReference may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of BrainReference
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- To protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
- To protect against legal liability
Security Of Data
The security of your data is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
In the event of a breach, anyone for whom we have an email address will be notified immediately. We also notify known authorities of any breach that puts your personal data in jeopardy.
We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Service (“Service Providers”), to provide the Service on our behalf, to perform Service-related services or to assist us in analyzing how our Service is used.
These third parties have access to your Personal Data only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
We may use third-party Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Service. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page.
LINKS TO OTHER SITES
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 18 (“Children”).
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from children without verification of parental consent, we take steps to remove that information from our servers.
Last Modified: May 26, 2020