Magnesium L-threonate is a new and unique form of element magnesium. It is derived from L-threonic acid which can stimulate cognitive abilities. The body already depends on magnesium to maintain the effectiveness of many of the basic functions. Magnesium is normally present in diet and is acquired by humans through various green leafy vegetables and nuts. At any given time, the concentration of magnesium in humans is 25 grams, and if this level somehow decreased, it could result in several physical and mental disorders.
This more bioavailable form of the nutrient is developed by Double Wood Supplements as a dietary supplement to boost various cognitive functions such as active learning and short and long-term memory retention. As a relatively new supplement, extensive research and clinical testing have not yet been carried out on this compound.
1) Quick Overview
Magnesium is a chemical element and an alkaline earth metal. It is essential for all living beings, as it is found in every cell of the body (makes up the 13% of bones and other cells). Many people might not think of magnesium as a cognitive enhancer; however, it is now used for its ability to improve one’s learning ability, its memory enhancing properties and its ability to improve brain plasticity.
Magnesium L-threonate improves synaptic activity thus enhance the learning and problem-solving ability of the brain. Due to this increased activity, users also have a positive effect on different types of memory. Focusing particularly on the elderly, short-term memory retention and long-term memory recall improved.
Less growth is observed as our neuronal tissues get older. This also translates into less flexibility, which promotes memory loss. The age-related decline also hinders the ability to learn and create new neural connections. This compound is very encouraging as it can help slow down the effects of memory impairment associated with aging.
2) What Are Magnesium L-threonate Ingredients?
Magnesium L-threonate contains the following ingredients: Magnesium L-threonate 2000 mg.
It’s also added in other nootropics like Jarrow Formulas MagMind.
3) Magnesium L-threonate: Pros and Cons
- Synaptic activity generated by magnesium L-threonate has resulted in significant increase in different types of memory in test subjects. Short-term retention and memory recovery have increased, especially among the elderly.
- Taking magnesium as a supplement results in several benefits such as better nerve functioning, improved bone strength in postmenopausal women and general increases in physical and mental energy through glucose production.
4) Magnesium L-threonate Product Warnings
- Taking too much magnesium could lead to potentially serious side effects. For some people, taking very large doses can cause low blood pressure, severe mental confusion and an irregular heartbeat. In extreme and rare cases, overdose can also cause death.
5) How to Use Magnesium L-threonate
For those suffering from chronic neuropathic pain, this supplement may help alleviate discomfort and pain. With that being said, there was a discussion based on Magnesium Sulfate vs. Magnesium L-Threonate. These two compounds tend to improve memory; however, magnesium L-threonate tends to be effective and safe. It also helps increase bone strength and improves nerve function while stimulating mental energy.
6) The Bottom Line – “Does it Work?”
Magnesium L-threonate could be a more effective and safe method to obtain well-known cognitive benefits. It improves short-term memory, active participation, learning and problem-solving ability. As opposed to regular formulations, Magnesium threonate is shown to have a higher absorption rate and produces more intense cognitive effects. Although it is not appropriate for people with heart or kidney disorders, it is at least as effective and safe as a standard supplement of magnesium sulfate, which is widely taken.
I have been using L-threonate for 1 year now, every day. It helps with deeper sleep and more vivid, memorable dreams. I like this stuff.
Do you take it at night? How much do you take?
I take the NOW brand of Magtein. They suggest taking taking three capsules a day, preferably one in mid afternoon and two one hour before going to bed. It is aols supposed to reduce brain fog and address other issues. A side effect is that it virtually or totally eliminated my body odor.