DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine) Review – Is it Effective?
Did you know that there is something out on the market that can lift your mood and make your brain healthier? According to Carlson Laboratories, DL-Phenylalanine or DLPA is an all-natural supplement that claims to improve overall well-being and mood naturally and effectively.
While research seems to support the use of this formula in supporting brain health, does the supplement do a good job of providing DL-phenylalanine in adequate quantities? Can using it regularly deliver what the manufacturers promise?
Let’s find out in this in-depth product review below.
1) What is DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine)?
A healthy body needs a healthy mind; if your brain is not working as optimally as it should be, your entire life goes upside down. To prevent this from happening, many formulas support neural health and promote mood by balancing the levels of neurotransmitters in the body. One such supplement is DL-Phenylalanine or DLPA, an oral product that helps balance brain health and function by providing it with two important amino acids, L- and D-Phenylalanine. These amino acids play a critical role in maintaining different aspects of good health, yet, the body is unable to produce them on its own. Hence, using this supplement can supply it in a premade form externally.
DLPA comes in the form of oral pills that are easy to use and can be incorporated into daily life without much hassle. Unfortunately, the company has not provided any intricate details about its composition, safety, and whether or not it contains any allergens.
2) The Company Behind DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine)
DLPA was established many decades ago to produce high-quality minerals, vitamins, and other nutritional products. The company initially began from a small apartment in Chicago by launching a single vitamin E product. Later on, it quickly grew to provide an award-winning line of all-natural supplements across the world. During the early 1980s, the company helped introduce the omega-3 market in North America by importing high-quality fish oils from Norway. Following this, the company released a new type of marine oil sourced from Calamari.
Today, the next generation has taken over the company but has ensured that the innovation it has been providing the world with continues. Today, it offers more than 200 supplements designed to cater to the unique nutritional needs of the entire family.
3) DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine) Ingredients
Each capsule of this product contains 500 mg of DLPA enclosed in a gelatin capsule. As claimed by the company, there are no fillers or additives to avoid any unwanted adverse effects. DLPA stands for DL-Phenylalanine, a mixture of D-phenylalanine and L-phenylalanine found in this oral supplement.
- D-Phenylalanine: D-Phenylalanine is found naturally in breast milk and in a variety of products and possesses analgesic effects and antidepressant properties. It has also been found to support mental functioning. The ingredient also boosts endorphins and dopamine levels to lift mood and remove the element of sadness.
- L-Phenylalanine: L-phenylalanine in this supplement is involved with the synthesis of norepinephrine and dopamine. Inside the body, it converts into L-tyrosine and passes the blood-brain barrier more easily than D-phenylalanine. As an essential amino acid, D-phenylalanine can help people cope with alcohol withdrawal, arthritis, and Parkinson’s disease, along with generally impacting brain health positively.
4) DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine): Pros and Cons
Mentioned below is a list of pros and cons of DLPA to keep in mind before purchasing this supplement:
- Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid that humans can’t effectively produce on their own, so using it may be beneficial, especially for those who do not get this amino acid from their diet.
- The supplement contains 500 mg of DPLA, which is an effective dose that is well inside the safe zone at the same time.
- The price is affordable, making it easier to use the supplement in the long run.
- DL-phenylalanine has been found to be less effective than just L-phenylalanine or just D-phenylalanine, so this combinational supplement may provide reduced benefits.
- The absorption of supplements may be hindered by certain food items.
5) DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine) Warnings and Precautions
- L-phenylalanine is found in commonly eaten foods so it’s unlikely people will need a supplement for it, a similar situation to Omega-6s. D-phenylalanine is made in laboratories and can have benefits, but it’s not usually considered as important as L-phenylalanine. In some studies, DL-phenylalanine was less effective than just L-phenylalanine or just D-phenylalanine.
- Some people want to use DLPA for treating pain, but there isn’t any good research to support the idea that DL-phenylalanine is effective in treating pain. It’s often considered no better than a placebo, which explains why some people think DLPA works for them.
6) Where to Buy DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine)
You can purchase DLPA from the following platforms:
- Official website of the manufacturer
7) How Much Does DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine) Cost?
DLPA is an affordable supplement, with one bottle costing $14.44 on its official website. Because its daily dose is one capsule, a single bottle with 60 capsules can easily last for two months.
8) How to Take DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine)
Experts usually recommend taking amino acid supplements on an empty stomach with juice or water. The best time to take it is 60 minutes before a meal. Be sure not to combine it with high-protein foods, as some of them may inhibit the absorption of DL-Phenylalanine.
Use one capsule of the supplement per day and do not exceed its daily limit as it may lead to side effects.
9) Our Verdict on DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine)
DLPA by Carlson Labs promises a lot, but the effects aren’t too clear. There isn’t much research on the benefits and potential side effects of DL-Phenylalanine supplements. Some people might find this product useful, while others won’t see any upsides. It’s best to ask your doctor about DLPA before deciding to purchase it.
In terms of the supplement, it is inexpensive and comes from a reputable company, so it is likely to suit most people.
Common DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine) Questions and Answers
DLPA by Carlson Laboratories contains a mixture of D-Phenylalanine and L-Phenylalanine, two amino acids required by the body and brain for optimal health.
Mind-boosting supplements with amino acids are considered among the best since amino acids can easily cross the blood-brain barrier. DL-phenylalanine is especially effective in achieving this goal because of its neutral properties.
Phenylalanine deficiency can lead to confusion, memory problems, and some symptoms of depression. Because this amino acid cannot be synthesized in the body, supplementing it through a good product can benefit the brain.
DLPA contains natural ingredients that are unlikely to react with most drugs. However, the company warns not to combine it with antidepressants. To ensure complete safety, get in touch with a doctor to discuss if you can safely combine it with any other drug or supplement you are currently taking.
According to the manufacturing company, DLPA does not contain any dangerous ingredients. Its active ingredients include two different types of amino acids that the body needs to work and function properly. Hence, it is unlikely to cause any side effects.
You can get in touch with the customer care line of Carlson Labs by calling (888) 234-5656
Unfortunately, the company does not mention any refund policy on its official website, which gives the impression that you cannot return it once you have purchased it.