Durk Pearson & Sandy Shaw’s WOW Brain Food is a drink mix with a berry flavor and essential nutrients. It promises to refresh your mind and “blow away your neural cobwebs” while helping your brain with manufacturing neurotransmitters. WOW is sold by Life Enhancement, a Nevada company founded in 1985. They release their own magazine for people interested in hearing more on scientific advances and nutritional breakthroughs, and have doctors on board. This leads to a lot of information having a high degree of accuracy.
1) Durk Pearson & Sandy Shaw’s WOW Brain Food Quick Facts
WOW has 13 vitamins and minerals, amino acids like taurine, and some natural additives for flavor. Each serving contains 80 mg of caffeine, less than a regular cup of coffee. The vitamin E levels are slightly high. Some people may benefit from this much vitamin E, and some people may not.
2) What Are Durk Pearson & Sandy Shaw’s WOW Brain Food Ingredients?
Durk Pearson & Sandy Shaw’s WOW Brain Food contains the following ingredients: Vitamin A (as beta-carotene), Vitamin C, Vitamin E (as dL-alpha tocopheryl acetate), Thiamin (vitamin B1 as thiamine hydrochloride), Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Niacin (vitamin B3 as niacinamide ascorbate), Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine), Folate (as folic acid), Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin), Pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5 as calcium pantothenate), Zinc (as zinc gluconate), Copper (as copper gluconate), Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate), Fructose, Phenylalanine, Taurine, Glycine, Caffeine, natural citrus flavors, silicon dioxide, malic acid, citric acid, fumaric acid, sucralose
3) Is Durk Pearson & Sandy Shaw’s WOW Brain Food Right for You?
Each 35 oz (1 kg) bottle contains a usual assortment of vitamins A, B, C, and E. It contains a number of other ingredients, some of which are added for not much other than flavor. The addition of amino acids like phenylalanine and glycine help deliver energy and nutrients to your mind, breaking through the blood brain barrier, so many people consider WOW to be superior to other caffeinated drinks which lack amino acids.
Some of the unusual looking ingredients are the ones added for flavor. You may recognize sucralose, fructose, and citric acid. Malic acid and fumaric acid aren’t overly common, but you may see them from time to time. These 5 ingredients add a balance of sweet and tart to enhance the drink mix’s overall taste.
A potential side effect is listed as insomnia, especially if you take WOW in the evening. Directions state to start slow, taking in one serving a day for the first week. This helps your body get used to the potent formula. On the second week you can go to two servings a day. After that, most people seem to find that WOW is working for them, or it isn’t, and in both cases a higher dose could be an option. You can take WOW up to four times a day, usually one hour before meals or snacks.
4) Durk Pearson & Sandy Shaw’s WOW Brain Food Health Benefits
- Low calorie and has a great taste. It contains small amounts of sugar, fructose, and sucralose, along with natural flavors. A couple of reviewers have said it’s too sweet, especially if it’s mixed with juice, but adding more water seems to solve this. Life Enhancement recommends drinking WOW with cold water or fruit juice, over ice, for the best flavor.
5) What You Need to Know Before Taking Durk Pearson & Sandy Shaw’s WOW Brain Food
- Too much vitamin E. They’ve also mislabeled the daily value as 100% when 30 IU of this type of E is really close to 150% daily value, according to the Office of Dietary Supplements. This amount is likely safe, even if you take WOW 4 times a day, but you may experience side effects. High doses can also cause nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, weakness, headache, blurred vision, and more. However, do note that high doses are often used to combat certain ailments, sometimes over 500 IU daily.
6) Durk Pearson & Sandy Shaw’s WOW Brain Food Price
Taking it twice a day leads to the jars lasting a little over a month. The price is slightly high for a one month supply of a supplement, although not unreasonable, and this is relatively average for a drink mix. Drink mixes, especially those with a variety of vitamins and minerals like this, tend to be on the expensive side. Life Enhancement offers an unconditional 30-day money back guarantee if you’re unsatisfied.
7) Directions For Taking Durk Pearson & Sandy Shaw’s WOW Brain Food
L-phenylalanine is an essential amino acid found in foods like fish, eggs, and milk products. Its effectiveness is poorly studied, but may be useful for a wide variety of things. Do note that you should not take anything with phenylalanine if you have certain conditions or take certain medications. Avoid if you have Phenylketonuria (PKU), Schizophrenia, Parkinson’s, or a depressive disorder. This does vary on a case by case basis, and if you’re ever unsure, consult your doctor. Phenylalanine interacts poorly with a number of medications such as Levodopa and MAOIs. Life Enhancement doesn’t recommend WOW for children or women that are pregnant or lactating. It might be safe for them, but it’s always best to be on the safe side when it comes to nutrition.
8) The Bottom Line – “Does it Work?”
Most people seem to be satisfied long term customers who have been buying from Life Enhancement for over a decade. Pearson and Shaw have been working on nutritional formulas for a long time and that work appears to have paid off. And if you’re ever unsatisfied with WOW for any reason, the company offers a 30-day money back guarantee. It’s unlikely that many people use this return policy since reviews are so largely positive and the company has been doing this a long time.